Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Michelle Ould

What is your nickname and if you do have a nickname how did you get it?

I recently got a new one while discussing rad lunchboxes with Samantha Johnson, and it happens to be "Thundercat". It doesn't have anything really to do with MMA personally but that was my favorite cartoon growing up and it sounded better than She-Ra or Starbright. Starbright being a close second. She was magical. Jk.

What path led you to mixed martial arts?

I wish I would have gotten into it sooner, would have saved me alot of grief! I have always been kind of rough around the edges and never had the outlet of sports for very long when I was growing up. I got to practice with the teams for soccer, basketball, gymnastics, and baseball after school but my parents were too unstable financially and into drugs and alcohol and it just wasn't a priority to spend money on actually signing up and driving me or sending me to trips. Kind of a sore subject for me still. We moved alot too due to this unstableness and I lashed out alot towards kids that picked on me for being poor...especially boys. Kids stopped messing with me after a while! I kind of ran w/that rep I didn't see any other choice. But anyone that got to know me knew I was also a straight-a student and great athlete, I just had a horrible home life. Once I had my sons I started focusing on myself and stumbled into this sport headfirst and was able to use my athleticism that I missed out on.

Why fight MMA?

Sometimes I wonder the same thing when I am up close at fights and see fighters crack shins lol. I like a challenge and I like to push myself mentally and physically. I like that there are options in this sport so that you have to evolve and learn and use your brain. If you take it serious it can really consume your life and shut out all negativity.Kind of sounds like everyone else's answer, but seriously I ask myself this same question right before every fight.

Being a female fighter, what are the biggest obstacles you have had to overcome?

Being patronized and treated like crap by guys with huge egos. Which happens in every day life but it really sucks having to work with them or those types being owners of promotions. I try to be diplomatic but it's hard to hold my tongue sometimes. But I just remind myself that usually those in power that act like that were picked on when they were younger just like me and that's the path they chose. Still pisses me off though.

Are there any extra hurdles being a female in MMA, or is it basically the same struggle for both genders?

Of course. Just like with any sport. Or anything in general. There's good and bad to it though because if you make it big being a woman, you really make it BIG since there are not as many of us. And that is awesome to see. Alot of good guys can get lost in the toss because the market is so saturated right now. But ya, that's something I try to just ignore.


What does your family think about you fighting?

They think it's ok. They aren't as supportive as I'd like but they never really were when I was growing up. My grandparents and aunts and uncles though are pretty obsessed. That's nice.

Who is the best MMA fighter in your opinion?


Female? Tonya Evinger but only because she is sitting by me and might smack me if I don't say that...lol jk. She's pretty good though and smart as hell and grew up wrestling soooo...ya she's got my utmost respect. Male...have to say Aldo for now.

Who was your toughest opponent?

Lynn Alvarez.

Where do you train and who are your trainers?

Urijah Faber's gym Ultimate Fitness in downtown Sacramento, California. Before that it was Combat Fitness in Boise, Idaho, another great camp. Jesse Brock made me tough there and I moved here to train with Tonya. I train with the pros there are quite a few studs out of our gym. Master Thong does my Muay Thai and I am now a blue-belt under Fabio Prado.

What do you look for in other fighters?

I'm not sure what you mean?...a good butt is always a plus! Jk. Seriously though, still not sure what you mean.

What motivates you to fight?

It gives me that nice butt I mentioned earlier. Money is also a motivating factor. I consider it my job and it's the only one I have been passionate about thus far.

What would you do if you were not a fighter?

Probably cease breathing. Or win the lottery I'm sure. I haven't ever bought a real lottery ticket though so then I may end up being a janitor. But I am going to school for business in hopes to rule the world someday, or at least a small piece of it so I can have my own janitor service instead that can support my son's dreams until I am old and can leach off of them finally.

What are your other interests outside of mixed martial arts?

I wonder the same thing sometimes. Anything that my kids want to do interests me. I want to experience what I never got to with them. We are going to Disneyland this summer and it's all of our first time! Ironically I was born in Anaheim . I don't really like spending every free moment out of training doing laundry, dishes, cleaning and homework but that's where I am right now. Until I win the lottery. But looks like I'm already a janitor by the sounds of it huh? I treasure our Sundays so we can relax and go to movies and in the summer be outside bbqing, wakeboarding, anything and everything outside and avtive!

If you could fight anyone in the sport of MMA, who would it be and why?

Tonya Evinger because I have to do her freaking laundry all the time too. But of course I know I will have made it when I am ready for Tara LaRosa.

If you could fight anyone NOT in the sport, who would it be and why?

Spencer Pratt, because he is a d-bag.

Have you any superstition or mania on fighting days?

Mania yes. I always ask myself why I want to go out there and hurt another girl I don't know. It never makes sense to me on that particular day. The less time I have to think the better.

What would you say to young fighters looking to make a career in mixed martial arts?

Start small and wait at least a year before going pro. And be careful who you have manage you and train you...do your research because this isn't always a fair sport. It is also entertainment, an industry, and there is money and egos involved so educate yourself even if you are a phenomenal athlete. Don't sell yourself short or believe everything you hear. Talk less and listen more.

Tell us about your next fight, who you are fighting and the training involved for this fight?

I am fighting for The Warrior's Cage in Porterville, Ca on May 16th against Zoila Frausto. I am pretty excited about this match due to it being cancelled twice before. I think it is a great match-up for me. I have been training pretty seriously I know she is tough, but I have what the guys in the gym like to call retard strength. Should be a good fight.

Are there Fans, Friends or sponsors you would like to thank and give a shout out to?

Any and all fans of course! Along with those that root against me! All of the guys and staff and trainers out of Ultimate Fitness, Jesse Brock and Czar Sklavos who were my first trainers, Tonya Evinger for making me a better fighter, Lana Stefanac and Sam Wilson for everything they do for women in this sport, my sons for making me push myself to be the best in everything I do...

Sponsors: Tusslefightgear.com, Fighter Dolls, Born2Bangmma.com, Ambition Couture Clothing, www.WARWORLDWIDE.com, MMAKo.org, Tipnsipbartending@gmail.com, Widowmakerfightsport.com, Cheapshot Clothing.

How can folks contact you?

I am on Myspace, Facebook, and Twitter under Michelle Ould. There aren't alot of those names out there! Also michelleould@yahoo.com.

MMA Omoplata would like to thank Slade Bittler of "Tussle Fight Gear" for arranging this interview

No comments:

Post a Comment