Friday, January 8, 2010

Jake Shields


Hello Jake, First of all we want to say congratulations on winning the Strikeforce Middleweight title!
Thanks, appreciate it.

How do you feel right now?
I feel great. Feels really good to win the Strikeforce middleweight belt. I really wanted to finish Miller, kept thinking I would get the choke, but didn't happen. And now I get to hang out with my daughter all week. Hadn't got to see her as much the last couple of weeks before the fight, and get to hang out with friends and take a little R & R.

Why fight MMA?
I just really like to challenge myself.

Who is the best MMA fighter in your opinion?
Fedor, Shogun; There's a lot of good fighters.

Who was your toughest opponent?
I've had a few. The Rumble on the Rock tournament was tough, with two
fights in one night, Yushin Okami and Carlos Condit. And of course this
last fight with Miller was tough. It's the first time I've gone a full
five rounds.


How do you feel about Cung Le coming back to Strikeforce and obviously
looking for the title you hold?

I don't think Cung is coming back for the title. I think he just wants
to fight occasionally. But I'd be more than happy if he does want to
fight for the title.

Where do you train and who are your trainers?
I train at my own gym, at Cesars Gym and I skip around to other gyms
that have good fighters. I train with Nick, Nate, and Gil at our
different gyms. Tareq Azim is my boxing/kickboxing trainer. Numpsiam
from Fight & Fitness, kickboxing trainer. Ted from Diablo Barbell,
weight trainer.


What do you look for in other fighters?
Heart and dedication. It takes a lot of work to be at the top of your
game. The sports keeps evolving so it's constant training and learning..

What motivates you to fight?
I've always enjoyed competition. Fighting is as real as it gets. It's
a great feeling standing in the ring or cage, ready to go.

If you could fight anyone in the sport of MMA, who would it be and why?
GSP. He is number one in my natural weight class. GSP said this week
he thought a fight between me and him would be a dream fight, like Fedor
vs. Lesner. I agree and would like to see it happen. But right now I'll fight whoever is put in front of me. Strikeforce is bringing in some good opponents and growing a good stable of fighters.

If you could fight anyone NOT in the sport, who would it be and why?
Dr. Phil

Are there Fans, Friends or sponsors you would like to thank and give a
shout out to?

All my fans, their support helps keep me going when it gets hard. All
the people who help with my training. And my sponsors, Tapout, Tapout
Sports Nutrition, Rockstar, Serious Pimp, EA sports, and Across the Cage.

How can folks contact you?
They can go to www.jakeshields.com

Once again we want to thank you for this interview and wish you the best for the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment